Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Crying in stereo

At least once a day lately I find myself trying to soothe two crying children at the same time. Either one can start it, but they both get going and I have to step back and laugh to myself -- otherwise there would be three of us crying (I can't say that's never happened, either). Fortunately it passes pretty quickly and then everybody seems to forget they were so unhappy.

Usually the dual crying really ramps up around 4 p.m., especially on days when Molly doesn't nap. Today it hit early -- before lunch!!! -- and I knew we were in for trouble. Today I think it started with Molly having a tantrum because I wouldn't give her lunch at 10 a.m. (snack wasn't good enough) and she shrieked so loud for so long that Kate woke up crying from a nap. Ah, joy.

I just keep repeating my mantra --  "It's all temporary. This phase goes by so quickly. This is the hardest part. It's going to get easier." We're approaching Kate's 6-week mark this weekend, which is typically the peak of newborn fussiness. Fingers crossed she's a typical baby and it's about to get better really soon.

At least we have comedy in our day, too. Today Molly had quiet time in her room instead of a nap (which she's really good at -- I had a nice little nap myself until Kate woke me up). I knocked on her door to tell her quiet time was over and found her dressed like this:

"What?"

3 comments:

AnnaPK said...

That hour or so before dinner is called the witching hour for a reason. :) These days I often resort to TV so I can get dinner made which will end the crakiness. I don't have as much patience now as I did for some reason. ;)

I love Molly's outfit!! She looks tired maybe she will give in and start napping again. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that for you!

Grampy D & Grammy Lynn said...

That is adorable, I bet we chuckled for, oooohhhhhhhh, maybe an hour. :-) Your family really is precious.

Tessa said...

My motto these days is "Keep Calm and Carry On." I miss you. Wish we lived closer!