Monday, May 2, 2011

Back to work

Well, we girls survived our first day with Jim at work. It went surprisingly well, thanks to some good luck. Mainly, it was a lucky coincidence that Kate fell asleep right after lunch and stayed asleep long enough for me to read stories to Molly and lie down with her until we both fell asleep. I think for a precious 20 minutes we were all napping at the same time. And then Kate's wake-up squawk didn't wake Molly. Phew! I'd be even happier if we had started to develop some new nap routine or strategy but hey, any sleep is good sleep.

My first trip out of the house alone with both girls was to Kate's one-month check-up today (Happy one-month birthday, little girl!). We had a long wait in a packed, hot waiting room and both kids held it together pretty well. Some weird guy waiting for an appointment offered Molly a lollipop and she shook her head no, so he gave it to me and encouraged her to take it out of my hand, which she did. It wasn't until afterward that I realized that I had just condoned, against Molly's better judgment, the act of taking candy from a stranger. She devoured the thing in the exam room before the doctor showed up. She hasn't shown any signs of poison yet, but I'm keeping my eye on her.

Kate's check-up was quick and painless. She weighs 10lbs, 9 oz. (50th to 75th percentile). None of my descriptions of her fussiness set off any alarms for the doctor. As I assumed, it's all just normal baby stuff.

OK, I must get in bed now. Must!!! Good night.

No comments: