Friday, May 25, 2007

Feeling better

It may be too early to be excited about this, but I'm feeling a little more like my old self. I did a bunch of gardening last night and was still so alert that I considered staying up later than 8:30. This morning I don't have the usual level of nausea.

I want to add to what Jim said about the appointment yesterday because everything went so well. We met a midwife named Susan, who was very friendly and gentle. She gave us the warning that it's normal to not hear the heart beat at this stage. Then she put the little wand thing on my belly. To me it just sounded like static transmissions from space, but right away she got excited and said we found it. And then you could kind of hear a fast pulsing of the fuzzy noise. She seemed surprised and happy that it was so strong.

It was great, but really insane at the same time. How could there be a heart beat in my gut? I know the baby's there in the abstract -- it's the critter that makes me ill and tells me it wants pizza. But to think of the baby as a real body inside my body is really hard to get my brain around.

The midwife did the rest of the exam and told us that the due date seems to be exactly right based on whatever weird things she feels around for in there: December 20. She also said I shouldn't have any problem having enough space in my body to carry the baby. (Or as Jim said, enough womb, heh heh)

We finished the appointment with one of the least painful blood draws I've ever had, and that was it. We go back in four weeks for our next check-up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this blog...very cool! It took me awhile to get signed up, etc.
So glad you are feeling better.