Friday, February 29, 2008

Doctor visit

Can you believe this happy little girl had a terrible diaper rash yesterday? It didn't look that bad and it didn't seem to be bothering her, but there was a little blood in her diaper, so I called the doctor just to be safe. (It was my first symptom-related call to the doc -- not bad for 10 weeks of new-momhood).

The doctor hooked us up with some ointment and told me to switch diaper creams.

In the meantime, I did some reading and began to wonder if the diaper issues might be connected to her tummy troubles and shrieking spells. These can all be symptoms of a sensitivity to some food I'm eating. They could also be related to an oversupply of breast milk (which would also explain her super-baby size).

I realize Internet/book self-diagnosis is a bad idea, but I ran this by the doctor and he said it wouldn't hurt to try eliminating some foods just to see. And it's easy enough to work on the oversupply nursing issue -- switch sides less frequently for feedings -- and that could at least spare Molly the occasional coughing and gagging. Poor baby.

So I started working on both fronts immediately. Maybe it was just coincidence or maybe it was the ointment on her bottom, but she fell asleep at 9:30 p.m. last night and slept until almost 7 a.m. I'm in such a good mood this morning I could do cartwheels. Mommy needed her sleep!!!

2 comments:

AnnaPK said...

I hope Molly is feeling better! There is nothing worse than seeing them hurt or sick. What foods are you cutting out? You guys tend to be adventerous and eat a lot of spicy stuff, could that be it? I made the mistake of eating curry when Lucy was about two months out, yikes did she had a rash from that! hope you are having a fun weekend with your company and we can't wait ot see you guys next week!

Julie said...

I cut out dairy, chocolate and soy because I read that those are common problem foods. I'm also trying to avoid spices and beans, cabbage and other gassy foods, although those haven't caused her much trouble in the past. Some people say wheat, nuts and a bunch of other things can be culprits, but that would leave me with just about nothing to eat so I'm starting slow.