Friday, June 15, 2007

New pants

We're at 13 weeks now, which means this is the last week of the first trimester. Hooray!!!
The baby is about 3 inches long -- about the size of a lime or a jumbo shrimp. In theory a midwife could feel a bump of the uterus just above my pubic bone. I have all kinds of lumps in my belly region so I don't know that's what I'm feeling or not. I'll ask at my appointment next week.
I do know the baby is pushing all my other internal organs up and outward, which is why a lot of my work pants got so tight so quickly.
The pregnancy books all warn you not to buy new clothes at this stage because you're going to outgrow them quickly, so I've been avoiding it and just squeezing into my old pants. But I got so annoyed with being uncomfortable that Wednesday after yoga I went to the Kohl's right next door to stroll through the maternity clothes and see what's available for the transition. I ended up trying on a bunch of regular pants that are just a size or two bigger than what I usually wear and they were SO comfortable. I bought a bunch of them on clearance and it has totally changed my mood. Instead of feeling constricted and fat and afraid my coworkers will notice my belly, now I'm excited about my belly and I can't wait for it to get even bigger! The bigger pants hide it better, too, so I'm less self-conscious at work and I feel more like myself.
It certainly is hard to keep this secret. After our appointment with the midwife next Thursday we'll be officially done with the first trimester and, if everything still looks good in there, there will be no reason not to tell the whole world. Then we'll just be counting down until our baby gets here. I can't wait!!!!

1 comment:

Alan said...

If you don't take care of yourself, you can't take care of anything else. That goes for mental health too. It is a good habit to have when the baby is on the outside as well.