Thursday, June 7, 2007

12 weeks

Baby's about the size of a lime. That's getting pretty big!
You'd think that sprouting an object in your body the size of a lime would show up somehow on the outside, but I still see nothing.
Though I've been feeling kind of puffy and thick around the waist for a few weeks now, I think it's mostly in my head -- my weight has stayed almost exactly the same since week 8, about three pounds more than what I weighed before pregnancy. I've been wearing pants with a looser waist because they're more comfortable, but generally I still fit into everything.
This morning, though, I put on a pair of the looser pants and they feel tight. Yikes! I'd like to blame the baby, but I think it has more to do with the huge dinner I had Tuesday night and all the Taco Bell I've been eating.
I can't wait until the baby starts really growing and I get to do some serious eating. That's one of the things I didn't know about pregnancy beforehand -- that the first trimester is so tricky in terms of weight. You're absolutely not supposed to lose weight, but you're also not really supposed to gain more than a few pounds. It's not until the second trimester that you get to eat 300 extra calories a day. If it weren't for the nausea, I'm pretty sure I'd already be eating for two.

2 comments:

Tessa said...

I lost weight with both of mine during the first trimester. Not because I was trying, just because it was hard to keep food down! Of course, I gained it all back and lots more during the other two trimesters :)

Alan said...

It is very likely that your shape and weight is all about the baby inside. It may only be the size of a lime (notice they never call it a lemon?), but try putting a lime under your belt and see if it feels tight when you suck in your gut. In addition, there is more than just baby in there. What is it, a 2-1 ratio of supporting stuff to baby? 1-1 at least. So try putting two limes in your pants and you'll get a better idea of the difference. Move them down a little and you get to know what Jim feels like all the time. HEY-OH!

[echo Tessa on losing weight in trim1] Also, moving from a healthy active life style to a sedimentary one will usually cause you to loose weight in the short term as you muscles loose mass (mostly a release of water) due to the reduced use. This happens much more rapidly than you could possibly be putting on fat from a change in diet unless you were really, really trying.

Finally, remember that fat (oil) is less dense than muscle mass (water), so if you replace 2 pounds of muscle with 1 pound of fat, expect your shape to be very different especially considering where the muscle was and the fat is going.