Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Baby knitting


One of the first things I did when I found out we were pregnant was to start knitting.

My first project was this fluffy sweater on big needles. I finished most of it in a weekend, which was good because right around the end of that weekend was when major fatigue set in.

I knit a bright yellow sweater next (I'll post a photo when I finish sewing the seams) and now I'm working on a red sweater.

I also just finished a very cozy baby hat with wool I got at the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival (the festival that the baby, ahem, protested). It's lamb's wool, the first shearing from a sheep named Myrtle on a local farm in New Hampshire who apparently is very friendly and thinks she's a dog. It's very soft for wool, so when I spun it I knew I wanted to make something for the baby.

Here is it, beside some of the unspun fiber I have left over.

There are a lot of things I'd like to knit but I'm waiting until I know if the baby is a boy or a girl. It's not just a pink and blue thing -- I don't care if boys wear pink and girls wear blue. But things like delicate white lace mittens would look silly on a boy. I've been avoiding pastel colors because they all seem feminine, but now that I look at the bold yellow sweater I made, I'm not sure if that color's going to look good on a boy or a girl.

It doesn't matter, though. The fun thing is having all these tiny things around the house and spending the time making them and thinking about the baby. I can't wait until we can try them on!

1 comment:

Alan said...

Well, I doubt they'll fit either you or Jim, so... oh I see.