Friday, September 23, 2011

This is why I don't...

do structured craft projects with kids.

Molly always wants to do the "Make It" projects in her Highlights High Five magazine, and we have actually had success with most of the ones we try.

This month's project seemed easy enough, and cute.


Molly finally begged me on a day when we had a little extra time so we found some branches in the backyard, whipped up some homemade play dough and voila ...


FAIL!!!

The red play dough came out pink, the orange was peachy but most disappointingly the branches wouldn't stand up. At the point where I find myself pushing away Molly's hands to fix things myself is the point where we quit. I was laughing and Molly got made at me for calling the project silly.

 Then she took the play dough and rocks and made her own bowl of mess, and that perked her back up.
She declared, "Mom, the project we were making is stupid."
Then she told me, "My project works."

It sure does.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Tell Molly that her project is far superior to that stupid tree anyway...
--Kim