Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Apples

What a beautiful weekend we had. It was perfect fall weather and a lovely time of year for a visit from Oma and Grandpa. We went apple picking.




We filled a huge bag of apples and it's already half gone. Mmmm, apple crisp, apple sauce, apples for snacks. I love this time of year.

Molly has her first full week of preschool this week (it's Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays). Drop-off this morning was smooth. She was pretty tired when I picked her up and had a bit of a tantrum over putting on her shoes but she recovered quickly and has had nothing but good things to say about school.

She came home Thursday with a new song and technique for folding play silks (corners kiss, find a new corner) and a new vocabulary word. ("Jadon and I collected pine cones. Mommy, what does 'collect' mean?" Now everything is a collection, a collection of pillows on the living room floor, etc.) Not bad for a non-academic preschool. Oh, and she wrote her name on her crayon drawing on the first day. In the Waldorf method they don't teach letters until first grade, so I'm taking it as a good sign that she hasn't been kicked out yet. ;)

I gather that today the teacher talked about putting one toy away before getting out a new one. Love that lesson. They had quinoa and apple slices for snack, which is what they will have every Tuesday. When I heard this was going to be the Tuesday snack I made some quinoa at home for Molly to try and her reaction was "eeewww," but she said she ate it today at school and it was good. Good thing, because at home she snacks all day long and eats early lunch. I'm afraid she'd pass out from hunger if she ever refused the snack at school.

Kate and I have been keeping ourselves busy on preschool mornings so far. On Thursday Kate took a long nap and I chopped back the rubber plant that was taking over our entranceway. Today we zipped over to the food pantry I've been volunteering at, which is coincidentally right next to the school, and I interviewed a client for a newsletter fundraising pitch. Kate played quietly and then took a nap as soon as we got home.

What's missing here is sleep. Kate has been getting up about every two hours to nurse for the past few nights. My longest stretch of sleep last night was from 11:45 to 2:15. She doesn't seem to be in pain anymore when she wakes up. Now she just seems hungry! It's hard to get her to fill up during the day because she's so busy. Every sound has her looking around the room and she can't finish eating fast enough to explore anything she can get her hands on. I love this baby phase. It would just be so much better if I was well rested enough to fully appreciate it. Ah, well. Maybe tonight is the night she'll sleep through. Maybe. It's going to happen some day, right?

No comments: