Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Feels like spring

The snow mountains are finally shrinking and we discovered a little surprise on Sunday -- our first crocuses!
Here's Molly showing them to Baby Doll this morning.

And as if that weren't enough spring, we went to The Butterfly Place in Westford this morning with a little group of neighborhood kids, where it was 80+ degrees and humid and full of fluttering butterflies. Molly had a good time, but again got bored and wanted to go home long before the other kids. At one point a butterfly landed on my shoulder and it freaked her out. For the rest of the morning she was paranoid about butterflies landing on her -- she would ask if one was on her nose and I'd tell her no, it was just a wisp of hair. She had a great time jumping around with the kids, though, and playing on benches and stuff. Definitely worth it.

I've planned us a really busy week because I'm trying to be mostly ready for the baby by this weekend, then we can just relax until the big day. So I'm packing in every play date and field trip I've had in mind all winter, plus some appointment (hair cut, midwives, etc.)

On top of that, we've just decided to look into hiring a doula to come with us to the hospital when we have a baby. That way we'll have some coverage if any of our child-care plans for Molly fall through and we have to bring Molly to the hospital, plus it will just be nice to have somebody around to give me massages and bring us sandwiches. :)
I guess the normal way to do this is to start searching somewhere near the middle of pregnancy, not three weeks before the due date. Clearly that's to avoid the scrambling around that I've been doing for the past few days to find somebody who's not booked yet and who's a good match for us. Fortunately, after a bunch of e-mailing this weekend, I found a woman who seems like a good fit. We met her last night and we'll probably hire her. It's got me even more excited about the birth!
OK, off to cross off more things from my mile-long pre-baby "to do" list.

No comments: