Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Giggly girl

Yesterday was such a crazy, and yet somehow typical, Molly day.

She woke up crying and was fussy all morning. Her first nap was only a half hour and she woke up even fussier. By early afternoon I was going nuts. She was crying for no apparent reason, other than that she was sleepy. Her second nap lasted only a half hour, too. When she woke up it was pouring rain and thundering out, but I threw her in the car anyway and went out to run errands. I thought the car might put her back to sleep and I was out of ideas.

She didn't sleep, but she did undergo some sort of magical transformation. At the stores I kept noticing strangers looking at us, and then I looked down and realized that Molly had been flirting with them. A lady at one store said something about what a happy baby she is and how she must be happy all the time.

By the time we got to the grocery store, she was in such a good mood that I almost believed that she is happy all the time. I bent down to get something off a low shelf and kissed her toes, which were dangling out of the shopping cart seat. She thought this was hilarious. For the rest of the shopping trip, all I had to do was look at her and she burst out laughing. She was laughing so loud that it echoed off the ceiling of the store. Her laugh made me laugh, which just made her laugh more. I was torn between shushing her so we didn't cause a scene and making her laugh harder.

She did finally take a 45-minute nap when we got home (that's a long one these days!). I have no idea what's going on with her sleep. Night sleeping has gotten better. For the past few nights she's been going to bed around 7:30 and staying asleep until around 3:30. Then things get a little rocky until she's up for the day around 5:30 or 6, but at least we've been getting that solid block. Maybe that's why her naps are so brief? I don't know. Sleep is supposed to beget more sleep. She drooled a lot yesterday so maybe she's finally cutting a tooth. Maybe it's something she ate. Or maybe there's just no pattern or explanation for it. Whatever. As long as she keeps laughing and giving generous kisses and hugs, we'll all be fine.

No comments: