Friday, June 6, 2008

Scooting backwards

So this morning I put Molly down on her blanket in our bedroom to play. This is our morning routine. I set her down just outside the bathroom door and she plays while I brush my teeth and put in my contacts, etc. Until a week or two ago, I laid her on her back. Lately I've been leaving her sitting up because she doesn't tip over as often. Until today she has always been content to stay there.

This morning, I heard her make this little cough sound she makes, then she was silent. I looked out to make sure she wasn't choking. (My heart almost stopped when I saw her tipped over to her side, but then I saw she was smiling). She rolled onto her belly and started playing on her hands and knees.

She was happy so I left her there as I did little chores around the bedroom. I started taking pictures when I realized she had scooted backward off the blanket and was inching her way ever so slowly across the room.





She was pretty excited, even when she got stuck at the wall. She's never seen the room from that position before.

Meanwhile, my stomach was turning over. This is so exciting and scary at the same time. She's learning to move! She's growing up so fast.

Fortunately we've already stepped up our safety measures. Yesterday I moved her changing pad off the dresser and onto the floor. It's such a relief not to worry about her rolling off. Also, her daddy lowered the crib mattress last night to the lowest setting after we realized that if she were to somehow pull herself up in the crib the bar was only waist high. I got the gate for the stairs out yesterday, too, so we can put it up this weekend.

Life is definitely about to change.

3 comments:

Tessa said...

She looks so proud of herself :)

Jim said...

It's like a Molly comic strip.

KimB said...

I feel like making a flip-book...congrats Molly!