Tuesday, November 15, 2011

birthday

A big THANKS for all the birthday wishes today!!!! They really, really made my day.

We got off to a rough start this morning, actually last night when I went to bed and realized my pillow was missing. All the others were accounted for, including Molly's, and I KNEW she had one in her bedroom. This morning I shook a confession out of her -- she took it on purpose!!! Why? It's soft and she likes it. Grrrrr.

It turned out it didn't matter that I had to make due with a strange foreign pillow all night. We weren't sleeping anyway!!! Kate started squawking around 11 and was crying and uncomfortable (translation, no sleep for grown-ups) from about 12:30 to after 2. At some point as I was rocking her in the dark the clues added up to a revelation -- her reflux is back! She has had a stuffy nose at night for at least a month with no cold symptoms during the day, she's been fussy (especially after long rides in her car seat -- maybe that's what was going on in Rockport?) and screaming when I put her in the car seat, screaming when I lay her on her back for a diaper change or to put jammies on, spitting up all over me and the floors, etc., etc.

Needless to say, we were all a little cranky this morning. Kate screamed whenever I set her down, which meant Molly got the shaft because Kate had to be in my arms, and Molly isn't one to let a slight like that pass without revenge tantrums. I actually missed a birthday phone call because I didn't even hear the phone ring over the dual screams while I was trying to change Kate's diaper.

HOWEVER, we managed to turn it all around somehow and by dinner Kate was catching up on sleep, Molly and I were making salads together and sneaking tastes of cake and ice cream. Harmony was restored.

And there's no sweeter birthday gift two cuddly girls at bedtime. Molly gave me lots of hugs and snuggles and sang lullabies in her sweet little girl voice in the rocking chair before bed. Kate fell asleep all snuggled in my arms. Can't ask for better than that. :)

No comments: