Sunday, February 13, 2011

Take that, winter!

The snow banks are closing in on us!! I was relatively warm this weekend but the snow hasn't moved. It's no fun to play outside because the snow is still too deep (not to mention crusted over and icy, so no good for making stuff). When Molly ventures in she gets her boots stuck and I have to wade in and rescue her. So we're confined to the driveway and the now super icy path to the front door. Needless to say, she doesn't want to stay outside very long when we do venture out.


So today we're fighting back. I got a bag of potting soil out of the basement and we planted flower seeds. I don't care that they'll never survive more than three months until planting season. These are purely for indoor entertainment.


I've been helping Molly make a list of all the things she comes up with that she wants to do in the summer. So far we have:
-- be inside a bubble,
-- go to the beach,
-- get oranges
-- go to Grandma's house and eat outside at the little picnic table.

At least Molly has been pretty good at entertaining herself indoors for the past month or two. She comes up with the most random stuff when she's playing. Tonight when I was walking on the treadmill (very slowly and pregnant-like, ugh!) Molly came down with a rag from upstairs, lifted the hooves of her ride-on horse (which she recently named Beauty) and rubbed off his feet. I asked about this and she told me Beauty had been eating oatmeal and cherries but he got all messy so she needed to clean the oatmeal and cherries off his feet.

We're excited for Valentine's Day tomorrow. I got a bunch of red and pink foods (red pepper soup, tomato sauce for pasta, etc) and we're going to use food coloring to make Molly's milk pink -- always a treat! But the big event is that today we made cherry Jello jigglers to cut into hearts and eat tomorrow. All day Molly was opening the refrigerator to sniff because it smelled like Jello. She's been saying "I can't WAIT to eat Jello." That's one of her new favorite phrases -- "I can't WAIT for Grandma to get here," "I can't WAIT to have milk at dinner." She says it with such drama I think she honestly means it.

No comments: