Monday, June 22, 2009

Doctor fears

Last week Molly developed a little goop in the corner of her eye that turned into a yucky infection. I called the doctor for some antibiotics and they took her right in.

Molly has always been really comfortable at the doctor's office, so I was shocked by how badly it went. She started crying when the medical assistant tried to put the thermometer in her arm pit and it spiraled out of control from there. The nurse practitioner just wanted to look in her ears and throat to make sure the infection hadn't spread but Molly didn't want anything to do with her. She screamed and cried. I would almost get her calmed down and she would look at the NP and it would set her off again. The woman left the room a few times to help Molly get a grip, but it didn't help.

The NP said this is typical of 18-month-olds and that she'll be fine with the doctor again in a couple months. Lets hope we don't get sick again for a while.

2 comments:

Tessa said...

Oh no, does she have conjunctivitis? Eve has been dealing with that ever since she started daycare (it comes and goes) and I got it from her, twice! I hope Molly is ok. Sad about the doctor. Stranger anxiety. I'm sure it will get better though.

Julie said...

Yep, it's conjunctivitis ... although the whites of her eyes never got red. She just had crusty eyes for a few days. I wore glasses all week anyway as prevention, mostly to remind myself not to touch my eyes. Of course, now I have a sore throat that's probably from Molly's germs. I have a hard time keeping her hands out of my mouth, for some reason.