Thursday, May 7, 2009

Singing

This was a fun moment the other day. I caught Molly doing something that appears to be singing, albeit in a monotone and not really with the music.



I love that babies start dancing and responding to music so early. That was a big surprise to me. I just read a really interesting book, "Animals in Translation" by Temple Grandin, a scientist who has autism, and she talked a little bit about how music has a lot to do with language. She actually believes that animals use song to communicate at such a sophisticated level that it is truly a form of language itself. She also thinks humans learned music from birds long, long ago, rather than inventing it ourselves.

By coincidence, I also just read this article about how parrots dance in time to music, and how dancing appears to be a skill specific to animals (including humans) that have the ability to learn language.

I'm not sure what this all means, but it just seems cool.

No comments: