Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Little toddler

Molly made her first snow angel today. She wasn't too thrilled about it (I had to swish her arms and legs real fast because she was all confused and on the verge of cranky), so it was probably a good thing I didn't have my camera. She's getting a little more comfortable in the snow, though. Today we took a walk down the street on the snowy sidewalks. Molly won't keep mittens on so I've been putting a pair of kid-size Smart socks over her hands and up over her elbows. She hasn't figured out how to get them off ... yet.

Speaking of clothes, Molly is taking a real interest in particular items of clothing. I think it all started with the pair of Ugg boots she got for Christmas. (She's wearing them in this picture).


Until the Uggs, Molly generally disliked having anything on her feet. Then one day she was playing with the Uggs and she held one out to me so I put it on her bare foot. They're all fuzzy inside (yes, I'm jealous). I put the other one on and she toddled around for a while. When they eventually fell off, she picked one up and held it out to me, then held out her foot. She wanted it back on!!

It became a thing, and now she holds out various shoes and boots to me and then holds out her foot. Recently this little routine has extended to other items of clothing and accessories. (In this picture both the headband and the socks were her idea).


In other footwear news, we bought Molly her first hard-soled sneakers a couple weekends ago. Now she can walk around a little more freely when we're out in public -- certainly a mixed blessing.

Another toddler-like development is that Molly shakes her head "no" all the time and there's no doubt anymore that she means it. It has made me realize how many things I phrase as a question: "Are you ready for a diaper change?" "Would you like me to put on your shirt?" "How about we put down that pointy pen?" "Can you wait for me at the bottom of the stairs?" It's definitely time to work on my phrasing.

We had a really fun sponateous visit from Tessa, Lex and Eve last week.



It was also a stellar parenting day for me -- I let Molly tumble down the stairs not once but TWICE!!! Fortunately it was only a few steps and she didn't even seem to realize what happened. I'm still having flashbacks to it in my dreams, though. Ugh!

No comments: