Friday, August 22, 2008

Sadness

I'm sorry I haven't posted much lately. My 12-year-old cousin Kendall died of brain cancer this week and we just got back from traveling for the funeral. Molly's sleep is even worse than before and I'm not sure how any of us is making it through the day. She's crying right now (as she has been pretty much all day) and her dad is trying to rock her to sleep.

The priest at Kendall's funeral reminded everybody how Kendall kept her spirits up no matter what happened with the cancer. It reminded me of one of my favorite Kendall moments, back when she was only 5 or 6 and going through the first round of treatments in Boston. We did some sight seeing and had fun, but the mood was somber when it was time to say good-bye at Children's Hospital because the serious stuff was about to start. Everyone was somber, that is, except for Kendall. She was singing and skipping into the lobby of the hospital.

I'm looking at another pink sunset (thank you, Kendall) and trying to remember that there's happiness to be found everywhere, even when things seem miserable.

No comments: