Friday, October 5, 2007

Contractions, the good kind

The midwife put her hands on my belly at my appointment yesterday and said "Oh, you're having a contraction."
I said, "I am?"
She put my hand on my belly and, as it faded, showed me the difference between feeling the baby (a firmness in just one spot) and a Braxton Hicks contraction (when the whole belly gets firm).
If that's what a contraction is, I think I've been having them for a while. I just assumed it was the baby pressing on me.
She said it's quite normal to be having Braxton Hicks, even this early. As long as they don't hurt there's nothing wrong.
Then again, it's not so early. Our "days left" counter is down in the 70s. Our childbirth classes start next week.
On a lighter note, I finally got myself a hair cut, which is doing a lot to offset the feeling that my clothes don't fit right and I'm hot and smelly and out of breath all the time. I noticed this week that when I sit at a desk I can feel my belly rest on my thighs. It's a good thing the baby moves so much to remind me there's a reason for this. Otherwise I think I would be freaking out.

1 comment:

AnnaPK said...

Yeah childbirth classes! Soon you will be hooting and houting! It sounds stupid until you do it, no wait it still sounds stupid! I think that is the point though, you are so busy thinking how stupid it is, it distracts you. :)

I had tons of Braxton Hicks. They will get a bit stronger, but don't worry you will know when they are the real thing!