Saturday, November 14, 2009

The bunny trainer

We were down in the basement this morning chasing the bunny around (yes, it's not even 6 a.m. as I write this) and it reminded me about the new and unusual bond between Molly and the bunny.

This little critter, who leaves droppings everywhere and is barely potty trained himself, seems to be teaching Molly to use her potty. It's like magic. She sees him hop into his litter pan, and she stops what she's doing to sit on her potty. She doesn't come tell me, I don' t have to remind her. She just does it. We had our longest stretch yet without a diaper the other day -- three or four hours -- thanks to that bunny.

She also likes to "read" to the bunny, just like we read to her on the potty. She sits next to the litter pan with a book, usually upside down, and tells him about Elmo's play day or something from some other book she's had in the bathroom that day. Sometimes the bunny pokes his nose at the book and it looks like he's following along.

When I ask Molly if she needs to use the potty, usually I get a big toddler "No!" But Snowplow? All he has to do is hop over to the corner and she wants to be just like him.

Of course, this desire to emulate the bunny also causes her to hop around the basement in circles, stuff her mouth with raisins and lick her feet and legs.

It's a price I'm willing to pay.

No comments: