Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Woo hoo!!!

Molly just peed in her potty!!!

We were in the middle of a crazy independent streak after bath. She didn't want to get out of the tub, even after the water was gone. She was sliding around in there dangerously and when I tried to pick her up she pushed my hands away, wiggled back and wouldn't look at me. I finally just grabbed her. She was so angry she wouldn't let me towel her off. She ran out of the bathroom naked. I came after her with the towel but she waved her hands at me threatening and turned her back. She gets her mind set on things a lot, but I don't think she's ever been this fierce about wanting me to leave her alone. I just left her there and went to her bedroom to get her PJs (she's been spending a lot of time running around naked -- her choice -- so the rule is just that she has to stay on the hard floor for easy accident clean-up). When I came back she was sitting on her potty looking down between her legs. She didn't notice me, so I went back down the hall for a few minutes. I didn't want to interrupt. When I came back in she had closed the lid and was walking around naked again. I checked the potty and it was full!!!!

This is the first time she's gotten herself to the potty intentionally to go. She peed in there once before, but she had already been sitting on the potty for a while and I don't think she even realized she did it. This morning she pooped on the potty, too, which was very exciting, but it happened because I noticed she was making her poop face (no diaper on, yikes!) so I grabbed her and set her on the pot.

She seems ready to potty train in a lot of ways, but until this evening (and maybe still) she was missing a big sign of readiness -- she doesn't seem to know ahead of time when she's going to go.

Instead she's just been getting upset about her dirty diapers, pointing and asking to have them taken off. Then when the diaper is off, she goes and sits on her potty. Nothing happens because she already went. Usually she doesn't want a new diaper on right away so I let her run around bare for a while (hence why the potty was in the kitchen tonight instead of the bathroom -- there's only so much time a mom can spend sitting on the bathroom floor).

Anyway, peeing on the potty seemed to be her last big act of independence. Afterward she laid right down for a diaper and dropped to sleep like a rock. It's a good thing. Our day was exasperating. Here are just a few of the things Molly did today: climb up the oven door, dump plates of food off the kitchen counter, squish pretty much every meal and snack between her fingers then fling it on the floor, grab an avocado off the counter and bite it through the skin like an apple, bite two tomatoes, put the bananas in the sink under running water, put her plastic monkey plate full of food in the microwave and almost turned it on, then dump the plate on the floor, blow a puff of air into a container of cloves causing them to get into her eye and make it red and sore ... I think I'm going to sleep well tonight, too.

2 comments:

Tessa said...

Yay Molly!!! We have been doing naked days around here and have a little potty station in the living room. Weird, but you do what you've gotta do, right? Kids are so funny.

AnnaPK said...

Busy busy monkey! I love the pics in the post!

WAY TO GO MOLLY!!!!!!