Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy baby

It may be rough getting up with the baby at 3 a.m., but it has its rewards.

Molly has been smiling a lot lately, especially in the middle of the night. Usually I see it right after she stops nursing, when she's lying on her side with her eyes closed, waiting for me to pick her up to pat her back. Sometimes she grins to herself with her lips closed. Sometimes she has a big open mouth grin. One time she even made a little "heh heh heh" sound that seemed like a laugh. I would love to know what private happy thoughts are racing through her brain.

We had a quiet weekend, just Daddy, Mommy and Molly. Our big event Saturday night was a trip to Wendy's for dinner. Molly slept through the whole thing. In fact, she did so well that we decided to extend the outing with a trip to Blockbuster. She was still sleeping when we got home. Success!!!

The next big challenge will be to keep her out through a feeding and a diaper change. I'm not exactly sure how that works. Where do I go to feed her? What if I'm in a store with no place to sit down? What if there's no diaper change station in the bathroom? I have a whole new level of respect for breastfeeding moms.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to worry Julie my dear, there will be a way even if you need to use the ladies room for assistance.
You are wonderful parents and you will be a wonderful mommy.
Don & Lynn Johnson

Anonymous said...

Julie, Jim, and Molly--

Congratulations!! Molly is absolutely beautiful!!!

When I saw you at the shower in November, I wrote down your blog address and am just now reading it. I didn't skip to today's though... I started from the beginning (May) and think you guys are so cute!!!! This blog will be a wonderful thing for Molly to look back on some day and she will love you both for it!!

Julie--As for the nursing, you'll be surprised where you end up feeding Molly while you are out in public... I had the same fears about nursing Emily, but everything works out. Babies are pretty good at going with the flow, so she will be okay with whereever you decide to nurse her.

Good luck with everything and keep posting those pics!!!

Love,
Stephanie

stephanieametz@yahoo.com

Tessa said...

I agree with Stephanie -- you find a way to make it work. Remember our Toys R Us trip? The nice lady set me up in the employee lounge to nurse. She even put a "do not disturb" sign on the door :) And when all else fails, you've always got the car. I have nursed more times than I can count in the car and changed just as many diapers on the back deck of the Subaru :) Like the rest of parenting, you figure it out as you go.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the mommys here. Laura has even nursed while the baby is in the babysling and people don't even notice.

AnnaPK said...

I have nursed Lucy at the table in a restaurant, I just threw a blanket over her. I have done it standing up or squatting in a public restroom, not comfortable but it gets the job done. The car is always my first choice though. You can choose the music and the temperature. I have only been leered at once. :) When the weather is warm changing diapers in, or on the car is my first choice too. They never clean those changing tables in public restrooms, yuck!

Tessa said...

Ohh... I haven't had to do the public restroom yet. Thankfully!! I nurse at restaurant tables all the time, no blanket or anything! Modesty? What modesty?? :) Nothing really shows and babies have as much right to eat in public as anyone else. I'm jealous of sling-nursers though. I always wished I could nurse a baby in a sling, but it never really worked for me.

Any limit to the number of comments we can post to one blog posting?? :)