Thursday, June 21, 2007

Check-up

I had a good visit with the midwife this afternoon.

We listened for the heart beat and she found it easily, just like last time. It's nice and strong. We also heard a bunch of thumping sounds, which she said was the sound of the baby kicking. It's funny that the baby's so active, yet I can't feel it. She said I won't be able to feel the kicks for at least another month.

All the blood tests from my last visit came back looking good. I found out I have B-positive blood, which I never knew before.

I go back in two weeks to have some blood drawn for screening tests. At the end of July we go in for the next check-up and our ultrasound. I can't even fathom how exciting that's going to be. Hopefully we'll find out if it's a boy or a girl and then we can get serious about picking names.

The one slightly troublesome aspect of this visit was when I stepped on the scale. I'm up about 7 pounds from my last visit just four weeks ago. The little info sheet they gave me today said I'm only supposed to have gained 2 or 3 pounds by now.

The midwife said she's not worried. She just warned me that she'd rather I didn't gain that much weight again between now and my next appointment.

I'm not really worried, either. I assume my body knows what it needs. It has given me the kick I need to get back to healthier eating, though. Now that vegetables don't nauseate me quite so much, I'm going to try to get back to my regular eating habits.

I was thinking about stopping at Taco Bell on the way home from the appointment to celebrate the first day of the second trimester. After hearing the baby kick, it made the pregnancy seem much more real and feeding the baby spicy chicken burritos didn't seem like such a good idea anymore. Instead I stopped at the grocery store and came out with grapes, low-fat cottage cheese, humus and a spaghetti squash. My little kicker need nutrients!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie-/we're so happy everything going so well. give the little one a hug from us.
Jim and Evie

AnnaPK said...

The first trimester is over, Yeah!!!!!! We can't wait to see you next weekend!